Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013 - The Year That Was...



I've almost held off reflecting on what for me has been the most monumental year ever, in terms of change, challenge, and personal growth.  It's a daunting task to even think about tackling the writing of it.  Now this year is done, and I can say it's been the wildest of rides, earth shattering lows and then the most exhilarating of highs, total freedom from the old way of operating, and surrender to the Universe and its plans for me.  What a relief to finally let go of trying to control the externals, my lifelong battle that I now surrender with glee.

New Years Eve (last night) was the final hurrah of 2013, in which I started off with beers with friends at my place, and then it was a courtesy bus ride to the Sunshine Beach Surf Club for dinner, and to meet up with the Noosa social group crew... followed by a spontaneous departure a couple of hours later (because life's too short to be dissatisfied on NYE!) to jump back on the courtesy bus to take us to our next stop, the Yacht Club, more friends and a quick beer.  Followed by attempted hitchhiking along the river, and then a free bus ride to Hastings Street.  Next port was Laguna Jacks for another beer, then we're limping down Hastings Street to the oh so glam dahlink Miss Moneypennys million dollar event, where we entered by stealth via the window, drank free champagne as if we belonged there, saw our friends, and then exited via the same window... which led us into Ricocco's (for a quick snog!) and then upstairs to the Noosa Surf Club (where we drank water) and then back downstairs, on to the beach which was crowded with hundreds of NY revellers, more hugs, kisses and well wishes,  then back across the road to Laguna Jacks, another beer, then to 7-11 for a pie, and then avoided the 500 strong queue at the taxi rank by jumping into a random passing car and copping a lift straight home!  Ah, all in a night's work.... ;-P



2013 was the year that:

·        I have moved in and out of four different homes.
     I sold a house in an area I thought would be perfect, and bought in an area I didn't know, but is perfect.
·        I have moved across two states
     My daughter has made starts at two very different schools
I    I came back to Melbourne and only lasted a day
·        A nearly six year trauma bond with Shaun ended
·        A cat called Penny came to stay and left
·        A dog called Boof has come to stay forever
     Boof raced a whippet and lost.  And I lost a knee, courtesy of Boof.
·        I started writing again
·        I got my own website at last.
·        I took over the running of a singles social group.
·        I started volunteering with Pets For Life.
·        I lost 18 kilos
     I attempted Ocsober, and almost made it.
·        I made new friendships, including some life changing ones.
·        Noosa gained its independence, and so did I.
·        I learnt to let go of control, and just be in the moment
·        I won an awesome competition, another first, and met more people through it.
·        I went overseas to Thailand and realized there's no place like home when you live here
·        I came home for good!

There is magic in a place that inspires the sorts of people I'm privileged to keep meeting here.  It is the sort of place that is not for the mundane, the faint hearted or the negative.  Because you need to be positive, think outside the square and find your own unique little niche in order to even stay here, let alone truly embrace it.  Many aren't so lucky, and that's why Noosa is a truly transient place.  It's been a long, long journey for me, from way back in 1992 when I first set eyes on this place and felt its irresistible pull on my very core, and which never let go over all those years, no matter where I lived, who I was with, or what I was doing.  When you consider that I'd lived here from 2000-2002 but in a negative mindset, and then again made a semi-move back here in September 2010 and failed financially to complete the move, you'd realize I would have given up on this dream a long time ago if I hadn't known on some subconscious level that there was some truth here that I needed to live, some way of being that so far had eluded me.  From winter 2012 in the depths of despair, the hard slog to get here again, the fear of failing dogging my thoughts, the agonies of the first half of this year, through a truckload of pain and sharp lessons, all to remind me to let go of the negative that I was dragging up here with me, in order to experience the magical shift that this life is truly capable of, if you ever can freely let it in…..

Bless this sublimely beautiful place and its free spirited, passionate people and its animals and birds and pristine nature, and thank you from the depths of my heart for welcoming me home, unshackling me of my personal dead weight of expectations, control and ego, and setting me free to soar the way every human being should, and could.  It's in all of us, you know.  You just have to let go and float on the breeze, man, and drop your shit at the door on your way in.  (And no, I'm not smoking anything, lol!!!) just finally living the dream….

Happy New Year... and may the odds in 2014 be ever on your side! xxxx

     Lake Weyba, Christmas Day Sunrise


No comments:

Post a Comment